Piano Detectives

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:36:41 -0800

Les Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> > Next question, Professor Sherlock Smith: just when did Chickering drop
> > some of its distinctive features? ...
>

> ... I consider such questions as when did Chickering drop
> their sectional pinblocks, or scrrew-in damper system; Weber, their tun-
> able duplex scale; Steck their individual agraffes; Knabe, their mitered-
> in pinblocks,; or even Fischer, those nifty solid-brass key pins--all done
> for reasons of post-merger corporate expediency and product-line homogenu-
> ity-- to be irrelavant, because my interest has always been those pre-mer-
> ger instruments that still retained those distinctive characteristics
> which made a Chickering a Chickering, a Weber a Weber and a Steck a Steck....
>
> Les Smith

Fair enough.

But now, would you please consider putting some of whatever thoughts you do consider to be relevant down in a somewhat more
formal manner. Any book you were to write on the subject of pianos and their history would be a breath of exceedingly fresh
air across an otherwise bleak landscape.

I have come to look forward with pleasure to your posts to pianotech. Yours are among the few that I save for later reading
and thinking. I suspect I'm not the only one doing this.

Thank you for the many enjoyable moments I've been able to share with your thoughts.

Del