Duo pianists choose mismatched pianos

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:07:13 -0600

Dear Friends,

On March 1, 1997 I had the opportunity to tune for duo pianists "Markham
and Broadway", as they traveled through Joplin for the Community Concert
Series.  Markham and Broadway traveled with the Humgarian Festival
Virtuosi, and performed the Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saëns.
 They were traveling with two Yamaha CFIIIS concert grands, and I was quite
impressed both with the pianos and with the performers.  The pianists were
very easy going, but extremely good!

The only reason that I was called to tune is that I could tune to A-442
(with my trusty SAT!) to match the pitch of the marimba.  The other tuners
in town didn't have an A-442 tuning fork, I guess.  To my ear (untrained in
voicing) the pianos were well matched.

If you can help it, DON'T miss the concert!

At 08:40 PM 11/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Duo pianists "Markham and Broadway", will be performing in my city this
>Sunday, as one of our Community Concerts series.  The newspaper article
>states "The two match a Steinway concert grand with a modern Yamaha and
>get a thumbs up from all sections from classical to modern music
>lovers". How about that? Any comments?
>Surely
>some of you have tuned for this duo and can tell us about the sound.
> Travis Gordy  RPT

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri, USA
e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com