Tuning invention

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:09:06 -0500

The other day I was tuning an S&S 1098, or I was trying.  It is one from
the seventies with extreme poor bridge termination, very tight tuning
pins and coils .25 or more from the plate.  A real s.o.b., but the owner
is a family friend.

There are torque wrenches that tighten or loosen nuts.  A small one,
modified for our use, turns a pin  a little or a lot depending upon
force exerted on handle, can most extreme minute amounts on demand and
exerts no lateral force to the pin.  Usisng impact force will virtually
eliminate longitudenal deformation and the impact will greatly reduce
the need for pin setting because impact travels along the string and
reduces static friction.

My God what we think up while doing the most difficult work.

Somebody out there take the idea and run with it.  But I get the first
one of the line!

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com