Killer B's

Thu, 13 Nov 1997 07:36:22 -0800

Robert B Edwardsen wrote:

> Del:
>
> It would certainly be interesting to hear one of these "B's", I understand the National Convention next summer will have a
> showcase of rebuilders work, any chance you will bring one of these instruments for people to hear?
>
> Rob Edwardsen

---------------------------

We just got the notice about the planned showcase, and while we're interested, we'll probably not be able to get a piano completed
and shipped in time to participate.

First of all, Providence, R.I. is about 3,162 miles from our shop. We're located on the other side of the world in Hoquiam,
Washington. We're on the shores of a different ocean. They watch the sun come up, we watch it go down. (I've long been of the
opinion that, had God wanted us to watch the sun come up, He'd have arranged for the event to take place at a decent time. Like
with the sunset.) The cost of shipping one of our pianos out there and back is not inconsiderable. Add that to the cost of
attending the convention and it's all more than we care to spend just to show off a piano.

Second, we don't maintain a stock of these things. They tend to get sold, even from remote little Hoquiam. We don't currently have
an appropriate piano in process that isn't spoken for or that we don't already have other plans for. And our rebuilding schedule is
committed enough between now and then that it would be difficult to work one in just for that purpose.

Third, we probably wouldn't bring a "B" anyway. One of the advantages of this process, at least from the customers standpoint, is
that you don't have to start with a piano like a B to get the same, or at least very similar, results. Most anything will work as a
starting point. It needs only to be structurally sound and of more-or-less "conventional" design. We prefer that it have something
like a maple inner rim. We have worked with pianos built with "select hardwood" rims, but it makes both the design and execution
more difficult. From our standpoint, it's easier to start with a piano like the B because the foundation is really solid and well
made. Also, they are all enough alike that we can make templates, jigs and drawings to make doing the work somewhat more efficient.
But, I'm still looking for a nice 7' Kimball, or something of similar ilk, to use as a demo piano.

Fourth, we're now working on a feature that is the subject of a patent application and I don't think that I want a bunch of
curious, sharp-eyed piano rebuilders pouring over one of these things until that is resolved.

We haven't completely ruled out the idea yet. But it's not likely that we'll be able to put it all together in time for next year's
convention. Sorry...you'll just have to come visit Hoquiam.

Regards,

Del