Renner Lite Hammers (was Let's talk about light.......)

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:18:14 -0500

> David writes:
>>Regarding the Renner Light hammers... It would be informative if you >could
>tell us some sample ready-to-hang hammer weights across the >scale.  Then we
>know what you are talking about.
>
>Ok,
> ( I shoulda known the answer was gonna be a bunch of questions....).
>
>Hammer weights are  #16= 9.4 grams, #30= 8 gr.,  #66=5.9 gr.
>.....Ed Foote

Ed,

These are not light hammers.  They are medium weight hammers.  In fact I've
measured several Late model Steinway D's with this same weight.  So I don't
think weight is a big issue here.  Thankyou for the sharing the data.

My veiw on voicing -
Any hot pressed hammer needs voicing to create a gradiation of density:

 "The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
  firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
  the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
  order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
  with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
  fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911

 David Stanwood