airline travel

Don Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:31:03 -0800

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:18:58 -0500, Howard S. Rosen  wrote:

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>Here is an interesting question..........
>
>Has anyone travelled on an airline and taken a standard sized tool case as
>carry on luggage?

I have to do this regularly. If I need my big tool box with supplies, I put bubble pack inside (to stabilize the tools) and strap it closed, then check it as luggage. It's a large, reinforced box top tool case.

For most trips I now use my little Genk case (thanks to Jim Harvey) and pack only minimal tools.  This case gets carried on.

The inspection stations alway ask me to open the box for a physical inspection - they need to check for weapons.  The only knife I carry is a small razor knife, and nothing else looks too dangerous to the guards.

If you travel internationally, either type of toolbox is subject to thorough inspection at multiple points. I carry extra strapping material to re-strap the big box 4 times in case it has to be inspected at multiple points.

Don Mannino RPT