steinway verdegris is killing me (a little long)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 07:45:06 -0800 (PST)

Greg, Ben, list --

Just out of curiosity, after trying to remove gunk, has anyone tried
repinning with nickel-plated center pins? Seems that if the brass were not
in contact with the offending cloth and parafin it might slow down the
creeping green crud.

Susan

----------------

At 02:11 AM 11/17/97 -0600, Greg Torres wrote:
>Ben: How long is a "while"?
>
>I did a Steinway M with the hammer flanges verdigris problem.
>I numbered all shanks and flanges accordingly, removed all the flanges from
>the shanks, dipped all the flanges in acetone and cleaned off as much of the
>"green wax" as I could by wiping down with a terry-cloth hand towel-even
>pushing a center pin through the birdseye with the flat side first to push
>out the "gunk".
>Then I took a single-edge razor to all the surfaces of the hammer shank
>bushings and CAREFULLY removed as much of the "gunk" that I could, then
>dipping just that part of the shanks in acetone-JUST FAR ENOUGH TO WET THE
>BUSHINGS and while still wet pushed new center pins thru (1 size over and
>NOT attaching the flanges YET)
>I let these sit overnight and the next day before removing the centers from
>the shanks I took a 100 watt Weller soldering gun and just touched each
>center pin for a couple seconds or so and then removed the pin and
>re-assembled. It worked GREAT!
>Nice and tight but flange would drop with the weight of the flange screw. I
>told the customer that the problem will probably come back but I think this
>will last for at least a couple years or so maybe-enough to get them to save
>up for the REBUILD....
>
>The previous "tooner" had tried to fix the problem by taking small clamp-on
>fishing weights attached to the end of the shanks butted up against the
>hammer mouldings, re-enforcing with a nice big blob of hot glue (the clear
>stuff for crafts and hobbies....)    :-)
>
>I know this sounds like a lot of work but it only took about 4 or 5 hours
>total....try a few and see what ya think...
>
>Good Luck
>
>Greg Torres
>Tunapiana@adisfwb.com

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"By using your intelligence, you can sometimes make your problems twice as
complicated."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant