speeding upright repetition, "bobbling" hammers

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:31:03 -0800 (PST)

Bill Bremmer wrote:

>    There are already and there will be many more for whom English is their
>second language who will use and depend upon this forum.  We don't need to
>confuse them unnecessarily.  If they are to translate what is written here
>into their respective languages for those who do not read English, our
>language must be clear and concise.  We have a new correspondant from France
>yet today.  I know that the French speakers call this condition «les marteaux
>qui dansent».  (Literally, "dancing hammers").  This illustrates the
>difference of perception that different cultures have when they view the same
>action.  Americans "bobble" and the French "dance"!
>     Therefore, I'd like to propose that we find a drier, more technically
>descriptive phrase for this.  Here is my offering:  "false, repetative
>striking".  Anybody have any other suggestions?  I'm open.
>     Bill Bremmer, RPT
>     Madison, Wisconsin
Bill --

Actually, I like "dancing hammers" better than "false, repetitive striking."
I even like it better than "bobbling hammers." Sometimes an expression
painting a vivid picture can be learned more easily than a drier, more
"correct" term. I suppose one could call them "jittery hammers," which would
be a little more accurate, since sometimes they don't double strike, but
only try to. However, "dancing hammers" allows for this, too.

When talking to customers, I tend to call this condition "two notes for the
price of one," but that's just a joke.

Regards,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"By using your intelligence, you can sometimes make your problems twice as
complicated."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant