Duplex scale

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:25:33 -0500

At 11:23 AM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Seems like we are parrying over different fish...my comments referred
>only to rear duplex systems, which is what is on my 1937 'S'.  I
>have never seen a piano with the front tuned duplex that you describe so

  Sorry to be a little delayed.  Yes, Stephen, the tails in historical
replica harpsichords are left undamped.  A good number of the early revival
instruments did put stringing braid in the tail section, but having worked
on these often, I find it really is pointless, other than looking pretty.
Some clients like to see it there.

  To add to this resonant discussion, if you will, it was not uncommon to
install the dampers in the jacks so that the dampers of an "off" register
did not contact the strings, resulting in sympathetic resonance with the on
register.  We've had heated discussions on the harpsichord list over the
aesthetics and desirability of this.

  Yours truly,  Anne
Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos