Delaminated pin block query

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:50:08 -0500

Thanks for the praise, Les, almost underserved as it is.

I remember how disappointing the tone of the Yamaha G0 was compared to
the G1.  I have tuned a number of other smaller pianos by Kimball,
Wurlitzer, Hardman, Estey and Everett with some sense of disappointment
in tone and power.

When I walked up to the Schiedmeyer I was bowled over by it's power and
tone.  I don't impress easily generally, but I was certainly so by this
one.

I rebuilt (plock, bushings, dampers, shanks, hammers, bridge work and
rescaling) a 1920 or so Straube from Chicago. It is abouit 4'5" or so.
I was impresseed by the tone of this litle thing after I got the tension
and inharmonicity under some control.

I remember a little George Steck 4'6" that impressed me as well and I
was looking forward to rebuilding one Rutgers had, but I didnj't get
around to it.

Oh, well, sometimes things work out OK.

I would never pit a 5' piano against a 7', but sometimes one raises to
become best in breed and best in show.

Thanks, Les.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com