tight pinning

Peter KESTENS KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:01:11 +0100

't MUZIEKINSTRUMENTENATELIER
PETER KESTENS
BELGIUM
KESTENS.P@DEBCOM.BE
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Oleg Isaac <oleg_i@club-internet.fr>
Aan: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Datum: woensdag 19 november 1997 1:25
Onderwerp: tight pinning

Isaac Oleg writes:

"This grand piano is in a very moisty place , something like 65%
permanent moist, and the pinning is very tight.

Consider the piano will stay in this moisty place - is it correct to re
pin, or is there a better solution ? (the soundboard seems ok, too much
crown but it sounds 15 " of nice ringing on note #65)

I will appreciate an idea, something to help me for the regulation at
first. In my place there is 50% moist env.
If I dry the flanges, the pinning will free, but I will be papering a
lot, and it surely will not stay squared and free when it will be back.

Is it a job for Damp-ChaserMan ?"

My question is: Whats about the ideal  % of moisture? Where I live
(Blegium), for the moment I have about 53% of rel. moisture.  It can go to
about 60-60% but also get down to 40-45% in winter.  Untill now I've never
had that much problems with tunings of piano's.

My opininon is: it's much better to place the piano in a place with a high %
of moisture than in a very dry place, because the wood will be no satisfied
and causes cracks in the soundboard.  Is this a good way of thinking or am I
toally wrong?  Any reactions would be greatfull accepted.

Peter