The Swelling Pin hole Conundrum

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:12:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi again, Jim,

At first I thought the same thing as Howard, but thinking a little longer
about it, perhaps the circumference could increase while the hole size
shrank if the hole managed to get more oval, and you were measuring "hole
size" along the shorter diameter.

Actually, of course, I haven't a clue as to what is going on <g>.

Best wishes,

Susan

>Hi Jim,
>
>Impossible!!!!!! If by hole size you mean diameter, then circumference is
>directly proportional to the diameter of a circle. If circumference is
>increased, the diameter must also increase.
>
>Howard S. Rosen, RPT
>Boynton Beach, Florida
>----------
>> From: JIMRPT@aol.com
>> To: pianotech@ptg.org
>> Subject: Re:  The Swelling Pin hole Conundrum
>> Date: Wednesday, November 19, 1997 11:07 AM
>>
>> Tom;
>> In a message dated 11/19/97 8:41:13 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> <<"which. after great discussion,  Jon proved to almost everyones
satisfaction, that these holes do not behave as one might expect and shrink
with the introduction of moisture but actually expand- the hole enlarging!">>

>> Tom actually there is a paradox here. With the application of moisture
the balance rail hole gets larger in cicumference but smaller in hole size.
When the wood dries out the hole gets smaller in circumference and smaller
in hole size.

>> So in both situations the hole gets smaller but the circumference changes
also.

>> Go figure !  I don't have the technical explanation for this but maybe
Mr. Hart will shed some light on this for us.

>>  Jim Bryant (FL)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Time makes me uneasy, going so fast, but I've forgotten the command to make
it slow down."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant