Damp Chaser whithout control

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:02:32 +0000

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> Don't worry. PSO disease is not very contagious between normal humans.
>
> It seems to mostly infect small to mid-sized companies that want to > become really large companies. When they contact it, the
> most visible symptom is that they begin to excrete small, > rotten-sounding disposable objects that look like pianos at an ever
> increasing rate until the company becomes so weakened by the effort > that it dies.
<snip>

Advance notice: the following is for the most part senseless dribble,
contains a few (feable?) attempts at humor, and in the end does have a
legitimate question. However, it is not intended as flame bait, but
rather, perhaps, as commiseration bait, and relates to Del's PSO
comment.

Background: My regular vocation for the past 20 years has been as an
accountant. A couple of years ago, I decided to look into taking on
another endeavor, first as a side-line/hobby, and later as a more
regular occupation following a hopefuly early retirement (in about 10
years) from the corporate world. Wanting something that offers challenge
and excitement, I first thought to persue lion taiming as the ideal
avocation. Then, through a fateful series of circumstances (I'll spare
you all the boring detials, other than to say it began when one of our
cats [notice the considerable self-restraint exercised in not preceeding
"cats" with a long string of expletives] knocked over a vase, spilling
water into our piano...), that eventually led to my acquiring the Randy
Potter course about two and half years ago.

I tuned my first piano for a customer anout a year and a half ago, and,
subsequently, have tuned perhaps two dozen pianos (I did say that for
the moment, this is only a side-line). While a number of these pianos
would fall into the "economy" category, they were nonetheless reasonably
decent. And I have had the privilge of tuning some better quality pianos
(a couple of Yamaha grands, for example). However, last night, I
encountered my first Aeloian - a Conover-Cable spinnet which was
transmogrified in 1974. In attempting to tune this PSO, I was reminded
of the Wendy's commercials from a number of years ago - the one with the
old lady saying "Where's the beef?" In this case, it was "Where's the
beat?" Well, the upper trebles had plent of beats, unfortunately wild
beats.

At any rate, after 2 1/2 hours, I finished the tuning, did some final
checks, and satisfied myself that while this may not have been my best
tuning, it was my best effort with what I had to work with (and it
sounded much better than when I started - "better" of course being
relative).

Since this very nice lady will probably be calling me back to tune her
piano again in six months, I would appreciate any tips on how best to
tune this sort of piano (yes, I have visions of chain saws, but that
doesn't do much for customer satisfaction). BTW - I tune strictly
aurally.

My apologies for the length and irrelavance - I must have had too much
coffee this morning.