"buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:50:43 -0700

Hi all...

I have a Kawai KG-3 here, #655022, about 25 years old. In spite of
having received very heavy institutional use it has held up very nicely
over the years, and still has a very nice and powerful sound. Recently I
took the thing apart and did a complete cleaning, hammer reshaping, full
regulation, and a few minor repairs. Other than wear and age, it is in
pretty good shape.

There is a nasty metalic sounding buzz coming from somewhere toward the
lower bass end somewhere around the bass bridge. It does not buzz when
bass notes are played, only in certain mid and upper trebble notes. It
is very audiable, and quite annoying. Having completely cleaned the
soundboard, I am pretty certain at this point that there are no paper
clips or other objects ratteling on the board. I have tightened EVERY
accessable screw, including all hinges, plate screws/bolts, and case
screws. I even crawled underneeth and tightened the soundboard button
screws, and the leg screws. It STILL buzzes. There are no visable
soundboard or bridge problems, and the strings seem well seated. Again,
it sounds very metalic, like a "washer loose on a screw" or something.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else come across similar problems in Kawai
KG-3s?

Thanks

Rob Goodale, RPT
Staff tech, Northern Arizona U.