Delaminated pin block

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:39:06

At 02:38 PM 11/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>The Piano...well that is being generous
>
>A 4' 9" grand made by Mason & Risch some time before 1895, ivory keys in
>mint condition
>
>BUT pin block three layer...bottom layer mostly separated...like an 1/8 of
>an inch.
>
>Question:
>
>Any point in removing the action, jacking up the delaminated layer, and
>using CA glue copiously?
>
>I can not honestly suggest the instrument is *worthy* of a replacement pin
>block. There is little or no sentimental value folks.
>
>Opinions please...and if you want to reply privately I will understand.
*grin*
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
>drose@dlcwest.com
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK
>S4S 5G7
>306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner

Greetings Don,
              I think we are talking about the same instrument. I looked at
this instrument last week for a prospective buyer, nice Queen Anne legs in
fact the  only redeeming feature of the PSO.
   The owner almost chased me out of the house when I suggested that I
would charge 5K just to replace the block, restring ,redamper reshape
hammers and regulate, I do not give the client the option re;stringing and
dampers ect. I think the buyer has been convinced of the potential folly of
proceeding.
  How ever the owner will find a "competent" tech to repair the unit at a
fraction of my fees. Even if rebuilt this THING would sound no better that
a mid-quality console.
  P.S. I think that I will have to whistle Dixie to collect my service charge.
  P.S.#2  You can retain this client in perpetuity.
  The owners parting shot was that she would sell the piano with the house
as she considered the unit was worth at least 9K in its current condition.
Maybe she is asking half a million for the house?
Kind regards.   >
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.