steinway D

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:46:14 -0600 (CST)

>...do you think that the spotlights on the piano could
>cause this damage.  The lights are quite strong and always seem
>to hit the treble section more directly...
>
>Gilles Duplantie
>Piano Technician, Music Department, University of Ottawa
>1357 Place de Papillon, Orleans, ON    K4A 1Y9
>Tel. (613) 837-8671

The spotlights do cast a warmer temperature on the stage pianos where I
tune.  As a result it changes the pitch of the instrument.  I guess it
wouldn't be unrealistic to consider this causing possible damage to the
instrument over a period of time, especially if left on for unreasonable
amounts of time.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician