Grand knuckle material

Paul Dempsey dempsey@ramlink.net
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:14:42 -0400

><< Any kind of grease is the LAST thing you want on a knuckle. Clean, dry
>leather with dry talc or teflon powder is all you should consider using.
>  >>
>     Thanks, Paul, for your reply which I really appreciate but I want to
>know why, specifically, you feel that any type of grease must not be used.

(snip)
>    Everyone knows by now that graphite grease was bad, yet it was used a
>lot.  I suspect for the same reasons I cite here:  that lighter viscosity
>lubricants break down too easily.
>    Please explain the reasoning behind you above comment.
>     Sincerely,
>     Bill Bremmer RPT
>     Madison, Wisconsin
>     "I have only one real enemy... mediocrity"

Bill,

While it might quiet an annoying squeeking knuckle, grease of any kind will eventually become contamininated with dirt, dust,....whatever.... and will become an abrasive sludge causing excessive friction- increasing touch-weight and reducing repetition speed. Who needs that? ;-) It *does* seem to last longer than dry lubricants (talc/teflon,etc.)  This is because the grease will soak into the leather/buckskin making it next to impossible to clean off. This is not a good thing.

While MPL is nifty stuff with many uses in other areas of pianos, talc,powered teflon, dry-teflon spray, soapstone and the like make more sense in friction critical areas like the knuckle,jack tip contact area.
Oh yeah, Protec works admirably here,too. The liquids evaporate quickly leaving no residue, just the clean dry lubricant.

Paul E. Dempsey
Piano Tuner/Technician
Marshall University
Huntington, WV