Pesky pitman problem

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:30:47 -0600 (CST)

>    So what am I missing?  I checked everything completely again, and put it
>all back together.  Played the pedal 100 times and everything is working
>fine.  I can't be sure it will last, because this is what I have done all of
>the other times and it failed...
>
>...Please forward any more of your ideas.
>My attitude about this piano is deteriorating rapidly.  Thanks for the help.
>    Jeannie
>Jeannie Grassi, RPT
>Bainbridge Island, WA
>jgrassi@silverlink.net

Some further input for you, Jeannie.  Ask the customer to wait until it
shows its face again.  Have the customer leave it as is and call you
immediately.  Then respond ASAP and carefully remove your 14 screws and
start to remove the action, listening and feeling for something to happen
out of the ordinary.  If it doesn't free up during this process of removing
the action, you should be able to see what is causing the hang-up.

Someone else mentioned depressing the pedal, then sliding your foot off and
letting the the system bang back into place.  This is something definitely
worth trying with the action out and with the action in.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731