Grand knuckle material

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:13:05 +0000

Paul Demsey wrote

> While MPL is nifty stuff with many uses in other areas of pianos, talc,powered teflon,
> dry-teflon spray, soapstone and the like make more sense in friction critical areas like the
> knuckle,jack tip contact area. Oh yeah, Protec works admirably here,too. The liquids
> evaporate quickly leaving no residue, just the clean dry lubricant.

Something that has been mentioned in the Samick knuckle replacement
post is the quality of the knuckle and the hardness inherent in it. I
feel this is more of a concern than lubrication, although I agree
with Paul's comments above. However, rather than worrying about the
"perfect" knuckle lubricant, one should question whether the knuckles
would benefit from replacement, à là Samick. On the many Samicks (and
several older  grands) I have worked with noisy, hard knuckles, which
presented more of a problem than smooth escapement & return.
Lubrication is fine, but doesn't address the noise problems when the
hammer returns to rest. As a side note, the drop-screw contact
leather on the wippen  is usually very hard and slaps against the
screw when the whip returns to rest.
	My point? Perhaps replacement of the offending parts (including
those gummed up with graphite & vaseline) with good replacements
(Renners are good, there area also some respectable generic brands)
with a minimum of lubrication seems to work longer than constant
lubrication of inferior parts.
	Not always an option, I know, but sure saves on the headaches!

Happy Tuesday,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net