voicing or???

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:55:19

Hi Ed,
      If it is sounding out of tune, do you have false beats on the
individual unisons? If so gently tap the strings with a hammer shank just
in front of the bridge pins on both sides of the bridge. then tap the
string on the bridge itself to ensure good contact. Also tap the bridge
pins to ensure they are secure. You may be suprised at the results.
  Qustion re: voicing, are you just sugar needling near the strike point?
If so you will probably need to use a voicing block to support the hammer
tail and deep needle the shoulders to get a significant change, the deep
needling will give the hammer a bit more flexibility.
  Since the note is F4, it is not V bar noise, but check the agraffe to
ensure that the string is not 'rattling' against the side of the hole, the
strings should exit the agraffe  at right angles.
  If you follow these steps, it will probably cure the problem.
Regards.

At 04:42 PM 11/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a yamaha 5'7" grand (E2865531), which I have worked on for a couple
>of years.  It's in a church.  The problem now is F4.  It has a different
>tone quality than the others around.  I've been back several times, but I
>can't seem to solve the problem.  I did voicing, and I checked the level of
>the strings, and that they were being struck by the hammer evenly (that
>helped, but didn't solve).  I'm kind of stuck.  What else can I do to even
>out the tone with the notes above and below.
>  Almost sounds out of tune, but the SAT has each string exactly right....
>I thought out-of-phase, but not sure how to fix it.  Can anyone give me a
>suggestion to try?
>
>Ed Carwithen
>John Day, OR
>Ed Carwithen