Grand knuckle material

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:30:08 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:52:47 -0800
> From:          Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Grand knuckle material

> Roger Jolly wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >         The synthetic materials ( corfam ) was not used on Baldwin grand
> > knuckles to my knowlege....

> This is correct as far as I know. It was only used on the vertical hammer butts. While we're on the subject, how about some
> feedback on how this material works. Please, we all know how the older Corfam worked. I'm only asking about the later
> material. I don't know exactly when the switch was made, but it was sometime before 1985.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- ddf

Greetings Del & Roger,

	Baldwin has been using escaine for leather on the
verticals only since 1984, replacing the use of Corfam. Don't wince,
Yamaha has been using synthetics for years. I have had long
conversations with Kent Webb regarding the durability of this
material, especially since I don't want to be replacing leather
substitute any more than I have to. He is of the opinion that
escaine won't repeat the problems that Corfam presented (Baldwin
certianly doesn't want to go through that again!) and the verticals
I've been working with for the last 7 years seem to be fine,
pseudo-leather wise.

Warning: *Shameless Plug*

Check out my Corfam replacement article at
http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal/techdoc.html

The grands have and always have had genuine deer-hide for knuckle
material.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG