Grand knuckle material

Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:30:47 -0800

atonal@planet.eon.net wrote:

> Greetings Del & Roger,
>
>         Baldwin has been using escaine for leather on the
> verticals only since 1984, replacing the use of Corfam. Don't wince,
> Yamaha has been using synthetics for years. I have had long
> conversations with Kent Webb regarding the durability of this
> material, especially since I don't want to be replacing leather
> substitute any more than I have to. He is of the opinion that
> escaine won't repeat the problems that Corfam presented (Baldwin
> certianly doesn't want to go through that again!) and the verticals
> I've been working with for the last 7 years seem to be fine,
> pseudo-leather wise.
>
> Warning: *Shameless Plug*
>
> Check out my Corfam replacement article at
> http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal/techdoc.html
>
> The grands have and always have had genuine deer-hide for knuckle
> material.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob Kiddell,
> Registered Piano Technician, PTG
> atonal@planet.eon.net

Rob,

The material is actually called Ecsaine (not Escaine as it is more commonly spelled on this list) and is made by the Japanese
company 'Toray' -- see my previous post on the subject. Or better yet, see the 'Toray' web site.
(http://www.toray.co.jp/e/seihin/senij03.html)

This is the material that was in use while I worked for the company and I know that at the time it passed all durability tests
with flying colors. I have tested the material myself and have found it to outlast leather or buckskin by a considerable margin.
I know that under test conditions it does extremely well. It's not the short term I was asking about, however. It's the long-term
durability I'm wondering about. In other words, what effect does time and long-term wear have on the material. Remember that
Corfam also tested well at first.

By the way, Ecsaine is the material used to make "Ultra-suede" clothing. It is also used on upholstered furniture, etc.

-- ddf