query

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:13:13 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Thursday, November 27, 1997 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: query

>James,

snip

>Well, enough of that. This list doesn't like horror stories. But you did
ask...

snip

Ok Del, you caught one,  I'll take the bait.

I respectfully submit that on the whole, this List most certainly does enjoy
"horror stories".

After all, they are a frequently encountered aspect of our work.     At
best, they're hilarious.   More often, merely amusing.  Often exasperating.
Too often, they're irritating.  And every so often, I'm outraged at the
damage that was done to a piano and/or the fraud that was perpetrated on a
piano owner, by someone who misrepresented themself as a qualified
professional, but was in fact a novice (or fool) who was "learning as he/she
went" at the customer's expense.

Our sharing such stories is harmlessly pleasant shop talk;  In the truly
sad/outrageous cases, it's cathartic for us to discuss them.

I found the recent Holier-Than-Thou posturing on this topic (we all know I'm
not
referring to you, Del) to be obnoxious nonsense.   Bad work speaks for
itself,
and is fair game for fair comment.

I also had a story to relate about a Horrigle, also involving a bass
bridge, but yours was much more  interesting.

Regards and all that,

Tom Myler
"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is
the awareness of our own ignorance."