Water/hammers/steam/voicing

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:06:55 -0800

Keith McGavern wrote:

> >...to all in general...what is your
> >vote on voicing techniques in the following scenario:
> >A concert hall with different artists every week, maybe daily, each of
> >whom want the piano voiced up or down according to the music being
> >played.
> >
> >What's the best way to bring it 'up' and 'down' with consistency and
> >control?  How about a combination of steam to bring it up,  and hammer
> >ironing to bring it down?
> >
> >Brad Smith, RPT
> >Manchester, NH
>
> Have more than one piano from which to choose.  If that's not possible,
> then have a Chairperson be responsible for making the decisions concerning
> the piano's voice.
>
> Keith A. McGavern
> kam544@ionet.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

And a Financial Responsibility Form for those those artists (or their responsible representatives) who insist on something
beyond what you and that Chairperson deem reasonable. On this form it is made clear that you are being requested to do a
procedure that will be harmful to the performance or the longevity of the piano and the artist is prepared to pay for
bringing the piano back to its current state of performance. This form has a space for your estimate of the costs involved.
It's amazing how fast those unreasonable requests become reasonable once they have to choose between playing the piano as it
is or paying for the full cost of their requests. And I do mean the full cost if you think that their request might cost a
set of hammers. At least this way, if the artist still insists on having his/her way, the hall is covered.

-- ddf