D.A.G binder-Arabian Gum

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 23:37:14 +0100

Hello,

D.A.G binder quest

I checked for "gomme arabique" :> Arabian Gum (Harrap's input)

Extract from a tree, gum (a tree species , the "gummies ?"- the tree's
french name is ACACIA - as is the english one)

Some technicians here does not want to use D.A.G on grand levers because
the binder, (the arabian gum) goes easely on the knucle. They prefer the
use of the graphite pencil and the lever is polished afterthat.

Is is not easy to have a nice polishing of the D.A.G grafited lever.

Tell me please if I am wrong

I tried to make DAG with powdered graphite and alcohool, and it does not
make D.A.G. (does not dissolve)

I have here a 1925 Gaveau grand without any graphite on the levers, the
wood is polished, the knucles are very clean, the action does not show
too much friction. ( But I will use Teflon on the knucles anyway)

Regards

Isaac OLEG