PLIER VOICING - SURVEY

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:24:18 -0600

I again suggest that you look for the pliers described below.  They have a
stop and will allow you more consistency.

 I mainly wanted to call everyone's attention to some Vise-Grip brand
pliers that are available that I use for this.  You will see in at least
one suppliers catalog a pair of EXPENSIVE voicing pliers.  Vise grip makes
a pair of pliers with a similar jaw that is great for voicing.  Basically
the jaws are rounded and can reach in the middle of the felt to compress it
OUT, rather than the regular vise grips with flat jaws that kind of
compress the felt.  It is VERY hard to describe this without
illustrations-sorry. (see below) The jaws are rounded and can act like your
fingers just reaching in the middle of the felt, compressing in a small
area in the middle of the felt, fluffing it outward in all directions.
With the adjustment screw you can have control over the amount of
compression which you cannot do with expensive pliers available from the
suppliers.  The pair I have says 6R (size) on them and the jaws look like
this-->    ----)   (----    (sort of) They leave NO jaw groove marks and
work
great!!  CAUTION!!  WARNING!! As always- keep brain engaged at all times-
you can over-do any good thing.. Start low on the shoulder and work up.
Listen, listen, listen....

Regards,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter