George Winston contract

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:40:05 -0700

Billbrpt@aol.com wrote:
>      I would tend to agree with all of those who find Winston's contract
> overbearing and imposing.  I don't care for his music either.
>     I think these explicit instructions however are his attempt to get at
> least SOMETHING done about the very poorly kept pianos that he more than too
> often encounters.  During my entire experience as a professional piano
> technician and a member of PTG, I have always been confounded by the vast gap
> between what is talked about as the norm here, among this group and at
> functions like PTG seminars and the bleak reality we face on a day to day
> basis.

> the situation in the majority of cases.
>     Bill Bremmer RPT
>     Madison, Wisconsin
>     "I have only one real enemy...Mediocrity"

Bill,
I found Mr. Winston to be a very caring, sensitive and appreciative
artist. As for his rather long and "amusing" tuning rider, I found,
after speaking with his manager, it is "a guide for tooners as a result
of bad experiences performing in some rather off (and on) the beatin
path venues". His music? Different strokes....he's doing something
right!
I'm sure a lot of us, dealing with concert artists, put up with "amusing
contracts" mostly of the verbal kind, on a weekly basis...part of the
job!
Speaking of verbal contracts (abuse?), have you ever done a concert for
Mr. Keith Jarrett. Nothing mediocre there.

After reading all of your posts today (so far), one gets the impression
your Thanksgiving turkey didn't quite agree with you.

Sincerely,
Bob Moffatt
Calgary, Alberta
Canada