Square Grands

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 11:16:16 -0400

Now that Stephen Birkett has dived in, I cannot resist this topic.
We certainly cannot even put all square pianos in one basket.  Granted, many
were poorly designed and built, and never wonderful musical instruments.
They did fulfill a desire by the general population for a beautiful piece of
furniture which would fit in their parlors, and provide an instrument for
accompanying songs, and light parlor playing.  Historically and socially,
they are very important instruments indeed.

I have studied and played quite a number of square grands, including in
concert, and can tell you there is as much variety in quality as in modern
day uprights, from the cheapest to the best.  100 yrs from now, will
somebody want to restore that Acrosonic because of good memories of family
time spent around it?  On the other hand, a mid-19th century Steinway square
can be an incredible instrument.  Granted, the average modern player will be
at a lost as to the touch and pedalling technique required.

>From an investment and collectible point of view, I doubt the Chase is of
value.  From a family point of view, it could provide years of pleasure again.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos