Sealing Simplex stack

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 07:51:05 -0400

At 01:21 AM 10/2/97 -0400, you wrote:

>It has been a while since I did a Simplex stack, but I don't think you need
>to shellac the valve seal area is as in the original. There are too many good
>modern glues that work well.   PVCE glue is good for sealing, but you might
>tack the valve seats on with a tiny rim line of titebond or Elmers white glue

Anyone who has tried to repair following these proceedures knows that
useing burned shellac (or a thick mixture made from flakes) does not make
you curse the previous person and throw the action against the wall a few
times.

>first, then seal over the glue line. I used to apply glue around the metal
>seats with a 10cc syringe and a fat, blunt, needle.  Many modern materials
>are better than the originals for rebuilding (like sponge neoprene gasket
>material instead of cork),

Cork has a few applications, leather, leather, leather (repeat after me:
leather. . .).

> but remember not to destroy the player you are rebuilding.
>Don't do anything that a rebuilder 30 years down the road cannot undo.

:-)

Within the past year I've had the displeasure of repairing "expert" player
rebuilders' work. The first one was to replace the neoprene valve faces with
leather (double sided suede). And cork gaskets with (yes) leather.
The second was to rebuild the botched-up Ampico secondary valves.
Unfortunately a combination of PVC-E on the outside valve seats and Tightbond
on the pouch board prompted the need to seek replacements. Add sloppy too.
Fortunately through the assistence of the Mechanical Music Digest, I was able
to locate a tech in Sacramento who constructs them new. They arrived
yesterday
and are a perfect duplication.

My advise is to get the books:
"Rebuilding the Player Piano" (Reblitz)
"The Orchestrion and Pneumatics Handbook" (Brougher).

These will tell you of the follies to avoid, along with procedure and
techniques
which won't have the next guy alluding to your having relations with your
maternal
caregiver.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)