Which Temperament

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 20:23:20 +0000

Dear list,

What I find puzzling about historical temperament is to know which one
to use.  When a "baroque" musician orders me a meantone, my anwer is:
which one?  I can tune up to 14 meantone versions with RCT.  And when he
ask "which one would you recommend?", I have not the least idea.

I had a look in Owen Jorgensen's book "Tuning" which is THE reference
document concerning historical tunings.  He gives a lot of informations
about the history of each temperament but very few hints about what kind
a temperament was most popular on a given time.

Is there any other sources where I can get a kind Top Ten Chart of the
commonly used temperament from 16th to 19th century?

For example, what would you suggest for someone playing a piece from
Couperin?

Michel Lachance, RPT