RCT owner query

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Oct 97 20:15:11 -0500

PDtek@aol.com wrote:

>The fact is that this subject is of great interest to many, including myself,
>who are having a hard time deciding between two VTDs, the SAT and the RCT,
>both of which are top quality and represent the state of the art in this
>technology.

Yes! Both RCT and SAT III are (or will be shortly) state-of-the-art.
There was some mention a few days back (I think by Keith MacGavern) that
there might be a big RCT versus SAT III debate brewing.  Maybe, but my
attitude is that it is _great_ that there are now two choices in
first-quality VTD's.

Look at what is happening.  The SAT stood alone for years.  RCT put its
own "spin" on VTD's and added new features for the first time in about 10
years, and now, shortly, SAT III will incorporate some of the features
introduced by RCT.  This is heaven for piano techs.

>If one has not had hands on experience with both systems, it is virtually
>impossible to determine which machine would do the best job for us. Of
>course, just because one person prefers one system, it doesn't always mean
>that the next tuner will prefer it also, but the more input we have from as
>many users as possible, the more information we have to help each one of us
>make an informed decision.

I used an SAT every day for 10 years or so.  I now use RCT every day, but
still carry an SAT.  Either will do a fine job.

The SAT III will have the edge for those wanting to "travel light" --
owing to its small size and long-lived battery charges.  (I have _not_
decided _not_ to buy one!)

RCT 2.0 (to be released shortly) will still have the edge on features,
however.  I intend to stick with RCT because of its high resolution,
crystal clear, rock-solid spinner display, the ability of the RCT tuning
calculator to calculate tunings that work well in the tenor of
short-scale pianos, the ease of tweaking tunings for given pianos with a
user interface that resembles a graphic equalizer, and the ease of
managing tuning records between visits to a given piano with RCT's
"built-in" computer.

>So I vote for public posts on this matter. Of course its up to those
>responding.
>
>My main questions would be:
>
>1. Do you feel one system actually helps you achieve a better tuning than the
>other?
>2. Which system is the easiest and most efficient to use?
>
>Dave Bunch

1. RCT, because it takes more data from each piano and has a superior
visual spinner display.
2. SAT, because of its tiny size and easy power management.

Kent Swafford