scary?

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:16:21 -0400 (EDT)

I am not about to restart the pointless debate as to whether Macs are
better than IBM or vice versa. They're both wonderful tools.

All I want to do is reassure anyone who buys a Mac that they are
wonderful, fun, and there is great software and well-written books
available. I started with a Mac when it was the ONLY way to notate music
-- now, of course, you can do that on either. You get used to buying
mail-order, but there are excellent companies out there for that, and if I
order something on a Monday, I usually have it on a Tuesday.

At our school, most offices have IBMs. But the desktop publishers,
graphics people, and musicians tend to have Macs. One of the great things
about being a Mac user is, you form a network of other users, and you
notice a they are generally devoted to Macs and besides getting great
results with them, they have a lot of FUN.

Granted, most stores will treat you like an alien. In the Cleveland area,
there is one store, called Microcenter, which has a great Mac section with
knowledgeable people. It is so great that it more than makes up for the
other stores.

You hear fears about compatability. I would say that if you'll be working
on computers at many different locations, it might be important to have an
IBM. I have NEVER had a situation where I was limited by having only Macs.
For running a business, kids' homework, internet and e-mail, there is no
problem and there are some things they do better than any other system.

Get what you want, but don't be afraid to get a Mac.
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music