Which Temperament

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:26:28 -0500

Dear Anne and the list,

Would you suggest one or two unequal temperaments that I could try out
while practicing Chopin (specifically the Polonaise in A Major Opus 40, No.
1, and the Waltz in D flat Major, Opus 64, No. 1)?

And what about one or two suitable temperaments for use when practicing
Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca?

By the way, I was listening to Piano Jazz (a weekly public radio program)
and the featured jazz pianist made the comment that the keys of C, G, D, A,
and E Major where brighter keys and that the flat keys were darker.  I
thought that in Equal Temperament, that the color of the various keys was
removed and that there was only variation in the pitch and not in tone
color?  Perhaps this performer has had his piano tuned in a non-equal
temperament and now appreciates the broader range of contrast possible
between the keys?

By the way, I also would like a copy of the Top Ten commonly used
temperaments form the 16th to the 19th centuries.

Sincerely,
David

At 09:01 PM 10/3/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:23 PM 10/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>Dear list,
>
>>Is there any other sources where I can get a kind Top Ten Chart of the
>>commonly used temperament from 16th to 19th century?

Michel

>To choose the correct temperament, you
>need to know what they are playing.  The temperament depends upon such
>considerations as the composer and country and the year, as composers would
>change their tune so to speak.   <snip>    If the player
>wants to play across a spectrum you need to give them a reasonable
compromise.

>Anne Beetem
>Harpsichords & Historic Pianos.

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT