hammer problems

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:46:17 -0700

pianoman wrote:

> Dear list,
> Just came back from a client that I just tuned for last Friday. (Howard
> Gr).  I have been tuning for them since January ,1990.  On Saturday I got a
> call from them saying that 1 note was not working.  Got there today and
> pulled the action.  3 hammers have unglued felt from the striking point to
> the back tail.  The unglued felt was catching on the damper wire so that
> was why the note wasn't working.  The person who replaced the hammers for
> them (just before 1990) is a tuner-tech-friend-competitor.  The hammers
> were replaced but not the shanks.  Where the shank comes through the hammer
> tail has not been filed flush with the tails.  I am surprised the
> backchecks had not worn through.  This person has always done high quality
> work so I'm not sure if he actually did the work or paid someone else to do
> it.  Anyway I told them that this length of time would be passed any type
> of guarantee.  I have already told them (an elderly couple) that the tone
> quality on these 3 notes would not be matching the surrounding notes.
> Question 1.  What glue would you use to glue these hammers back together?
> Question 2.  Any ideas on clamping these hammers back together in a
> workmanlike manner?
> Question 3.  I told them that probably there may be more coming loose in
> the future and not to be surprised.  They look like Schaff's Standard
> Hammers (red inner reinforcing no outer reinforcing and small staples in
> top and bottom.)  Am I wrong?
> I will wait till the weekend to decide on the course of action.  Thank you
> in advance for your thoughts.
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. from St. Louis
> pianoman@inlink.com
> "Do it because it is right"
Greetings James,
                Besides the unglued felt,I think you have a whole host
of other problems.
 I think everyone knows my stance on ethics, so point one, do you not
think the customer has the right to know that the hammer installation
was an inferior job done with questionable quality parts. Although the
truth is some times hard, it is the only way to maintain integrity.
 If the shank is protruding, the following questions should be asked.
a) is the strike point correct. b) is the hammer under centering. c) if
the back checks are not being worn, are the hammers tailed correctly, or
is the rake of the back check correct, which leads to regulation
quality.
 If it is an Asian Howard grand I am sure Ket Webb at Baldwin can help
with some hammers.
 The customer has the right to know all the facts, you are resposible to
explain all the options so they can either make the decision or guide
you in making the band aid solution with CA glues. You first loyalty is
to your client, they will not put you down for being honest.
 I have used the orange hot stuff and vice grips with sucess on
"junkers" but have not tried it on any half decent piano, nor would I
try.
 Hope this helps with you delemma.
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Saskachewan