Buzzing bass strings reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:39:43 -0500

----------
> From: BILL &PAT HOPKINS <cyberpod@esslink.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Buzzing bass strings
> Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 8:20 PM
>
> This is regarding a Kimball spinet.  Bad news
> There are a few bass strings which "buzz".
> I have checked the soundboard, bass bridge apron and so on.
> If the buzzing is from these individual strings I probably need to twist
> them.
> Is there a tool to use for this?  I use a pair of vise-grips gripped as
low towards the loop as possible to lift the loop off the hitch pin.  In
the process of lifting off you can feel if there was any twist in the wire
If there was add 1/2 turn in the direction the string is wound in.  If
there was no twist try 1&1/2 turns in the same direction.  At the same time
you might want to try and crimp the beginning and endings of the windings
on the string with pin nose pliers.  Since it is a Kimball all this will
probably be in vain.
> Also, the hitchpins are "below" the bottom on the piano - will I have to
> remove the pedals to pull these off  the hitch pins?  Don't remove
anything else unless you are forced to.
> One reason why I suspect it is the individual strings is because when I
> loosen the tension on these the buzzing disappears?  Is this true?  Not
necesarrily so.
James Grebe
RPT from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com