"cracking" pins

robert sadowski rls@ncinter.net
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:13:01 -0400

David,
     If I were to remove those pins, I might be tempted to go another size
over since removing the present pins is going to enlarge those holes
slightly, especially if you back them out with a power drill.  I started
this thread and I just finished stringing with the spar varnish and it made
a huge difference. You get that nice little "click" feeling when turning
the pins.
Regards,
Bob Sadowski RPT
Erie, PA

----------
> From: David ilvedson <ilvey@a.crl.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: "cracking" pins
> Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 6:45 PM
>
> > Date:          Fri, 3 Oct 1997 22:54:41 -0400 (EDT)
> > From:          Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> > To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject:       Re: "cracking" pins
>
> As someone who just restrung the bass on a Baldwin concert grand
> and have those "cracking" pins, I wish I had tried the
> "varnish".  I'm going to give it a little time but I may be
> tempted to remove each pin and use the varnish and drive it
> again.  Am I asking for trouble such as breaking beckets?
>
> David ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA
>

> > On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, John R Fortiner wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Les:
> > > This is the first time that I have communicated with you in person,
but I
> > > have a question regarding "tuning pin driving fluid".  Do you need to
> > > thin the spar varnish before using it or do you use it as it comes
from
> > > the can?  Does polyurethane varnish also work for the same purpose?
> > >
> > >                   Thanks in advance
> > >                   John R. Fortiner
> > >                   pianoserv440@juno.com
> >
> > Hi, John.
> >
> > Regular spar varnish as it comes from the can, NOT polyurethane. Also,
> > dipping the pin itself in the varnish seems to invite excess and drips,
> > at least for me. I swab the hole, itself and then drive in the pin. Try
> > both approaches, use whichever one works best for you. For anyone who's
> > evr had to resort to bad language while trying to  tune a piano with
> > tight, squeaky, jumping pins, the difference that PDF can make is
start-
> > ling. Give it a try. Afterwards, you'll probably ask youself, "Hey, why
> > didn't someone tell me about this before?" Well, we just did! Ain't
Piano-