"Boinging" strings

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:56:27 -0600

 Hello All.

The piano I restrung (the Vogue baby grand I have talked about here before)
turned out okay except for the first two notes of wire, just above the bass
strings.  They have a "boinging" sound.  Since the original scaled called
for 21 gage I thought perhaps substituting 20 gage (thus adding tension)
would eliminate that problem.  Another tech friend didn't think it would
help much.  He blamed poor scale design and poor piano design.

Well, to my horror, my "new" 1922 Steinway M has a similar sound at C#2
(first of the wire).  It is no where near as bad as the Vogue but now I am
listening for it and therefore,I am finding it.  My M is also freshly
restrung.

Do you know what I am referring to?  Is there a solution?  Is it because the
heavier gauge wire has to "settle in?"  PLEASE let that be it!

I tried voicing on the Vogue.  I stabbed those two hammers so much it looked
like a recreation of the shower scene in Physco.  Didn't help.  When you go
up the scale it goes "dah -dah -dah -dah -BOING -BOING -dah -dah"  or
something like that!!  I could record it and attach it as a file  . . . nah.

HELP!

Glenn.