Glue 2 :)

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 19:36:02 -0600

Hi all,

The participants!

A small 40" PSO vs a piano tuner

The problem!

2 years between tunings A4 is just 2 cents out, and most of the piano is the
same. All except for...one note f3 the second unwound string. The middle pin
is loose and *that* wire is over one semitone flat.

Piano belongs to a widow.

The piano tuner observes a crack parallel in direction to the tuning pins
just above the offending pin. About as wide as the thickness of a business
card. The crack is only in the top layer of the pin block. Clearly an
oversize tuning pin is *not* in order.

Out comes the the thin (read like water) crazy glue. I treat the crack to
several drops which are sucked up immediately. I begin to tune. Every few
notes I drop three or four more drops of glue into the crack.

Finally the moment of truth arrives. I put my lever on the offending pin. It
is tight! In fact tighter than the surrounding pins!

The widow is happy. I am happy. The piano is in tune. I hope that others
will find this tip useful!
Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com