re pinblock varnish

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:11:24 -0500

A couple of months ago I restrung a M&H model A and the upper tenor section
pins started jumping a lot.  I asked here on the list and was told by
several techs to brush the hole, (some said use a bit) then swab the holes
with varnish.  It worked beautifully.  That particular section felt
"different" than the other sections and that bothered me, but the pins were
nice and tight with a very smooth feel to them.  Spoon bits create a glaze
and are not recommended.  Also, some techs, after reaming, dipped each pin
in the varnish (just a little bit) then drove them in.  In the future,
after reaming or brushing I will try the dipping procedure myself.
P.S. Varnish takes a while to dry.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.