Spills on bass wires

Mike Erickson mwike@flash.net
Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:57:05 +0000

Dear List,

  My thanks to Susan Kline, Kit Cleworth, Greg Torres, & Paul McCloud
for their response to my question about improving the tone on some dead
bass wires -> which had beer or mix drink spilled on them.

  I was surprised that H2O was the solvent of choice in this case ! I
supposed that if the wire was wiped off immediately and blown with a
hair drier that the forming of more rust wouldn't be such a risk. I will
do some experimenting with water on at least one string to see if there
is any longevity to such a cleanup. I don't think it could make it any
worse at this point. I see this piano once per month and will report on
any long term success or failure.

  Greg's proposed experiment to burn away the contaminents with a heat
gun, I think, I would reserve for a moment when I already have the
customer's request for new strings and have the new wire in my hands. I
wonder at what temperature  ???  you might change the tempering of the
core wire, and if it could be weakened and break. ???
  Thanks for all your imput,   Mike Erickson, Tucson, AZ.