Pole Barn?

robert sadowski rls@ncinter.net
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:08:28 -0400

Dear list,
     I used to work for a company that built them.  The poles are 4" X 6"
treated lumber usually 14 to 16' long which are then sunk into holes 3'
deep that are filled with concrete (ala your backyard deck).  The poles are
usually on 8' to 10' centers, are tied together at the top with a 2 X 10
and then roof trusses laid on top.  After this a concrete floor is poured
and voila, you have a building.  This way, there is no need for a
conventional footer and block foundation.  Since the poles are below the
frost line the building is very stable even through our Lake Erie winters.
Some people here even use them for garages.  I know this is more than any
of you ever wanted to know about pole barns and yes, you can keep poles in
them!

Bob Sadowski