Apprentice possible??

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:57:37 -0500

I was recently approached by a prospective apprentice.  This is not your
usual idiot with his own old upright who'd like to learn how to fix it
himself, or the housewife who's always enjoyed music and would like to
"pick up piano tuning".  This young man is serious and has set serious
goals and is willing to do whatever it takes, good with tools/his hands,
plays piano, etc.  I would set goals for RPT status within 18-24 months
with solid training in rebuilding, repairs (and business knowledge from my
college degree for what that's worth).

Question:  Is there ANY way to help him without going through all of the
IRS requirements for workers comp., withholding income taxes, insurances,
payroll
taxes, etc., etc.  NOTE: I am aware of the IRS restrictions and what
guidelines they look at to classify a person employee vs. independent
contractor ......

What I am asking is; is there a way to let him learn from me and buy him
tools in payment, or teach him here and let him establish himself as an
independent tech in the eyes of the IRS, too????  I want to stay above the
table on this, but I'm not willing to take on headaches and jump through
dozens of hoops for our beloved big brothers in the IRS so some young kid
can learn a trade and leave.  I know that this dilemma is not a new one to
many of you.  My business is small and simple and I'd like to keep it as
close to that as possible.  Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net