Niemeyer

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 19:14:21 -0700

PDtek@aol.com wrote:

> A local dealer asked me to take a look at a new line of chinese pianos with
> the brand name Niemeyer he has recently put on his floor. It seems that
> everyone that trys out the piano complains that the action is too heavy.
> These are studio sized verticals that indeed have a very heavy action. I
> checked the keys and all of the centers independently and found no excessive
> friction anywhere. Although the damper springs are fairly strong, the action
> is still very heavy with the sustain pedal engaged. Being an economy line
> piano, my theory is that it is merely a poorly designed action and the
> problem is one of geometry.
> If anyone has had experience with this piano, I would like to know if I have
> come to the right conclusion, or if there is a way to lighten up this action.
>
> Dave Bunch

Hi Dave,
        You are patially right, about the design, but more to the point
the Chinese do not seem to know what they are doing.
 The nose bolts are not well placed hence the hammer but is too far toed
into the instrument thus the jack has problems escapeing and returning.
 The blow distance on the few that I have worked on has been excessive
therefore adding to the problem.
 A new wrinkle to me, is that the but leather is loose on the butt and
is being pushed by the jack on the down stroke, and dragged on release.
The few that we have sold we have practically rebuilt the actions,
including rebushing the keys. Needless to say we have quit selling them.
 Sell a piano and rent a tech.
Regards
Roger Jolly