Petrof pianos

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 16:30:11 -0600

>During the past year, I have had the opportunity to inspect and play a
>number of Petrof grands.  I have been greatly impressed with the sound
>that comes out of these pianos vs. the price.  I have been much less
>impressed with general preparation, but, the work they seem to need is
>the kind of work I like to do.
>
>Is there now a U.S. distributer for Petrof?  If not, who does distribute
>Petrof to the U.S. market? Any general comments on Petrof?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Frank Weston

I went to a Petrof dealer hosted wine and cheese bash.  Two factory reps
(Americans) gave a slide show presentation.  I was impressed by the slide
show but not at all by the pianos.  They hired a pianist to play their top
model.  The poor thing sounded like it just couldn't get the sound OUT of
piano.  It had no richness of tone, no power, just noise that resembled a
piano just a little.  To be fair I checked all of the models there and they
were all the same or worse.  I inquired on the preparation and was told they
were tuned and voiced just for this presentation.  This dealer also sells
Baldwin.  The Baldwins sounded so much better that I started feeling bad for
the two guys making the presentation.  Even the hired pianist was disgusted
and left early.

Too bad.  I wanted to like them.  I was shopping for a piano for myself back
then.  Great finishes, solid construction.  If you want furniture only,
Petrof is the way to go.

I keep checking every one I run across and I have concluded that they all
suffer from the same affliction.  I liked the Estonia's this dealer had
better.

Glenn.