Different Cultures/Foreign Techs.

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:26:15 -0500

Thanks Barrie.  Very interesting.  I've had some customers in the French
Quarter section of New Orleans ask me to wear some unusual things, but I
won't go into detail.  I keep my tuner's uniform on at all times.  At
customer's homes I usually decline food and drink, but if they insist and
look like they may be offended, I do. I've eaten borsht (spelling??Russian
soup) oriental foods, lots of fruit offered, etc.  I'm Cajun, so I'll eat
anything.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> [...]
> Subject: Re: Different Cultures/Foreign Techs.
> Date: Wednesday, October 15, 1997 4:43 PM
>

> Hi Lance,
>
> Most of my colleagues and myself spend 45 minutes to an hour on a
> customers piano who have them tuned on a six monthly basis.  As for
> getting a vacum cleaner out, and giving it a good Hoover. No way, that's
> a separate issue, they get a separate bill for that.  I recommend once
> every three years for uprights and every 18 months for grands, nice
> little earner.  As for regulating, I do take up lost motion, and  put
> the odd paper washer underneath a bad key or two.  However, if I
> have to get my straight edge out of the car, then I class this, as part
> regulation and bill them accordingly.  Tuning, cleaning, regulating and
> toning here in the U.K. are classed as separate issues.
>
> There are the exception to the rule, I have a colleague in my area who
> moves everything in to the house, bar the kitchen sink.  Spends two
> hours chatting, 15 minutes tuning the piano and then give
> them a whopping great big bill.  Nice if you can get away with it.
>
> On the regulating side I spend between three and six hours depending on
> whether its a grand or upright, but I charge for a full day.  Touching
> up the case parts I subcontract that out I only know a few piano tuners
> in the U.K. who polish as well as tune,  its not cost effective, by the
> time you have faffed around messing about with polishes, you could have
> done seven tunings and earnd some money.
>
> In Germany
> I am led to believe , that  piano tuners and piano technicians are kept
> apart, you employ one individual to tune your piano and another to
> maintain it, how true this is, I'm not sure.
>
> In France:
> you are expected to be there for at least an hour and a half I've a
> colleague in the South of England who occasionally nips over there and
> tunes the odd piano.
>
> Mowing the lawn:
> have never been asked yet, you never know, I'm open to offers.
>
> Wearing kinky clothes:
> I've never been asked, but some of my customers have come to the door
> dressed rather strange clothes.
>
> Asians:
>
> Tuned for a few Asian customers they have this hospitallity thing, if
> you go at or near meal times, you have to join them for a meal or they
> will be offended.   you have got to be in to currys, which I am, and
> thoroughly enjoy it (but she makes a lousy cup of tea).
>
> Hope this is of some help to you, take care,
>
> Barrie.
>

> In article <199710151654.LAA16264@mailroom.iamerica.net>, Lance Lafargue
> <lafargue@iAmerica.net> writes
> >This past week I've tuned/worked for three Russians, a Greek, and two
> >Oriental customers.   How long do foreign techs spend on a piano?
> >Lance Lafargue, RPT
>

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally
Friendly