"Feelin' in Tune? (part I)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all --

I've had low-level tinnitus for years and years, and have found that it does
come and go, according to exposure to noise. For instance, it was very bad
in Toronto when I was training, due to loud trucks, squealing trolleys and
subways, and general racket. After about 6 weeks in California over half of
it simply disappeared.

Yes, very lucky. I'm sure at some point enough would be enough, and it
wouldn't subside to tolerable levels. I just got the 15 dB plugs, and now
use them for long drives and for beating in the high treble for concerts.

I find that what will bring on tinnitus faster than anything else is Walkman
earphones, even with the volume turned low. I hear people jogging by with
them at full volume and shudder. No wonder voicing and CDs are getting so
shrill, with so many people half-deaf. That miserable scree would just about
bring sounds back to normal for someone who is losing the upper end. That
category I imagine includes a lot of audio engineers.

So, I have some fairly constant hiss in both ears and a few soft clicks in
my left ear, more noticeable when lying down in a quiet room. Then I have
suddenly appearing louder and lower hums, which I find I can get to go away
by vigorously rubbing my ear and mastoid areas.

I think diet matters a lot, too. Cut back the saturated fat and especially
the transfatty acids (margarine, overheated frying oil, etc.) Switch to
olive or canola oil from sunflower or corn or soy or peanut. Add the good
fats, such as fish oil (salmon, yum) walnuts, flaxseed. When I did the
above, a lot of things improved, not just my hearing.

Hope this helps someone.

Susan