Piano On Ice.

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:53:33 -0500

NBWW@aol.com wrote:

> I have this theory that as the temperature goes down, the humidity goes up,
> thus the piano sits in a relatively stable environment. It may be -10 degrees F
> outside but thr relative humidity can be
> as high as 70 %.

Could you expand on that theory please?  I had always assumed that the relative
humidity approached 0% as the temperature dropped below freezing since any
moisture that had been in the atmosphere would be frozen and thus removed from
its vaporous state.  This should remain true inside a non-heated building as
well.  It seems that the only humidity would be a result of the heating of a
building for short periods of time, say for Sunday services, which would result
of condensation as a result of the radical temperature change.

Those of us here in the swamp are not familiar with that since (1) it only
freezes about once every 5 years and (2) we rarely see the relative humidity drop
below 80%.  All comments and observations are welcomed.

Regards from the land of mold, mildew and allergies.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter