query

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:21:50 -0500

Since we are on the current thread of screwstringers, does anyone know who
invented or patented the system?  Since M&H started piano making in around
1883 were their first pianos screwstringers also?  If not, has anyone seen
a pre-1895 M&H grand that wasn't a screwstringer?  What about the uprights,
did they use screwstringing also or the norm?  I have only tuned 1
screwstringer (grand) in my life, many years ago, and the one I tuned was
not a memorable or impressive experience.  I think M&H expertise before
Gertz was just not there but lay in their reed organs.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Take me through the darkness to the break of the day"