Piano On Ice.

Terry Beckingham Terry_Beckingham@mbnet.mb.ca
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:11:47 -0500 (CDT)

If you take a parcel of air with any amount of moisture and cool it, the
point at which the moisture begins to precipitate out of the air is the
dewpoint. It is at that point the the RH is 100 percent. As the precipiation
occurs, the moisture content of the air decreases and the RH also decreases.
It is a fact that cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. If you
take a parcel of air with a RH of 100 percent and heat it, the relative
humidity will decrease.

When you have really cold air (-40), it is rare to have any kind of
precipitation with the possible exception of a phenomenon known as ice
crystals. Very cold air is generally very dry. This is why our homes suffer
from dryness in the winter months.

Terry Beckingham
An old meteorological tech