bench repair

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:43:27 -0700

This is one of those times where I would take into consideration: how
much is it for a new bench, can you buy a new one in that size, how many
hours will it take to repair/reduce to size (multiplied by two and add
10%), etc., and come up with a fair price. If that means that I'd end up
working for $15 or $20 an hour, then I would chalk the rest up to a
learning experience. You may be stuck with doing it at less than your
ideal hourly rate since you now have it in pieces and the customer
doesn't have the option of taking it elsewhere, assuming that you want
to keep the customer. I would also do the best job possible even if I
had to underestimate it. Next time a job like this comes up, you'll be
able to do it more quickly and you'll have a better idea of what to
charge.

I remember Isaac Sadigursky talking about buying a bunch of piano bench
corner brackets from Kimball (they're larger than most). They can be
used to repair most benches and are much quicker than trying to redowel.
One modification: he flattens the "fingers" that reach down into a saw
kerf near the end of each rail; no new saw kerfs to make - they weaken
the wood and are the reason most of these designs fail. In a bench that
had dowel joined legs, you'll need to install new hanger bolts,
available from hardware store, to draw the legs up tight to the rails.

Happy woodworking.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA